Questions & answers for iCab Mobile (2016/08/26)
- Will be iCab Mobile 9.x available for iOS 5 and 6 as well?
- No, iCab Mobile 9.x requires at least iOS 7. But you can still get an older release of iCab Mobile which can be installed on older devices running iOS 5 or 6.
In order to get the older release for iOS 5 and 6 you need to launch the AppStore App on the old device, go to the iCab Mobile page of the AppStore and the install the App from there.
If you've already purchased the App in the past, the AppStore will tell you that the current release is not compatible with iOS 5/6 and will then offer to install the latest version that is still compatible with this device.
In case you've not purchased the App before, the AppStore might not offer to install or purchase the older version. Then you need to purchase the App on either a newer device runing iOS 7 or later or alternatively in iTunes first. This way you would buy the current release of iCab Mobile. This would not run under iOS 5/6, but at least this purchase would allow you to install the older version on the device from within the AppStore App (see above).
- How can I get out of the Kiosk mode?
- The Kiosk mode is a special mode, where almost all of the user interface is removed and where there are no settings accessible. This mode is useful for public information terminals in exhibitions, museums, fairs and other public locations,
where the user of the kiosk should not be able to "mess" with the system. So it must not be easy to get out of the kiosk mode.
As Admin user you can configure how to leave the kiosk mode the "User Interface" settings of the Kiosk account. The options which are available are: tap at the top and bottom of the screen at the same time, tap all four edges of the screen at the same time or tap with 5 fingers on the screen. This will then open the password window where you have to enter the korrekt Kiosk password to be able to leave the kiosk mode.
Another way to leave the kiosk mode would be to open the Settings App of the iOS and go to the iCab Mobile settings you can find here. Enable the option to logout all users and go to iCab Mobile again. iCab will now show the standard login screen, so you can login in any of the available accounts again.
- How can I add pages to the "Today" widget?
- To add the page to the "Today" widget for the notification center, use the menu item "Add to
Today widget" within the „Action“ menu of iCab Mobile. By default iCab
automatically includes this new menu item next to the „Add to Bookmarks“
item. If the menu item is missing, you can configure the action menu in
the User "Interface" settings.
The "today" widget itself is found in the notification center in its "Today" section. As any other widget, you can enable or disable it by tapping on the "Edit" button within the notification center.
You can edit the list of pages within the Today widget in iCab Mobile within the Bookmarks window. The root folder of the bookmarks window should have an item for the Today widget, in case there are any pages saved for the today widget.
- Can I access the standard "Share Sheet" of the iOS to use the extensions from other Apps?
- Yes, simply use the long-press gesture on the icon for the "Action" menu to open the standard "Share Sheet" instead of the Action menu of iCab Mobile. A normal tap on this icon will open the Action menu. Alternatively you can add the "Share Sheet" menu item into the Action menu in the settings.
- Why is iCab reloading web pages when switching Tabs?
- This only happens when the device is running out of free main memory (RAM). When the device is running out of free memory iCab will release as much memory as
possible, which includes the web pages within inactive Tabs.
The number of Tabs that can be opened before the device is running out of memory depends on the web pages themselves (more complex web pages with many photos or videos require more memory than simple text-based pages), the device model, the background Apps and the iOS version.
In the Settings ("Other" section) you can enable the "Memory savings Mode" (which is enabled by default) to reduce the memory usage for inactive Tabs. Enabling the memory savings mode will slightly slow down switching between Tabs, but on most devices this is hardly noticeable.
It is even possible to configure iCab in the "Other" settings to no longer release the web pages in inactive Tabs when the memory is running out. But it is not recommended to do this in general. If the memory is running out and the iOS is unable to get enough memory to continue, it starts to terminate Apps, even the App in the foreground.
- Why are all the Tabs closed after leaving the App and coming back later?
- By default iCab keeps all the Tabs open, but you can change this in the settings.
There's and option "Open At Launch" in the "App Start" settings, which tells iCab what to open when it is launched. iCab can either keep or restore the last session (keep all Tabs open), open the homepage, the QuickStarter or an empty page. If the Tabs should be kept open, you have to make sure that the "Session" is selected here.
Another option which affects what exactly is opened when launching the App is the "Private Mode". The private mode is supposed to not store any private data, so the Tabs are not stored forever (they are considered as private data). By default iCab will only keep the Tabs open for a few minutes after leaving the App, so you can at least leave the App for a short time without losing anything. But when leaving iCab for a longer time, the Tabs and other private data will be lost while the private mode is enabled. In the "Privacy"settings of iCab you can configure the details about when and which private data is deleted in private mode.
Web Sites, Networking
- Why are there issues uploading files?
- Up to iOS 8 the web engine of the iOS has upload support only for photos and videos from the photo album. Uploading other files is not supported. Since iOS 9 the web engine also supports uploading other files if they are stored in a cloud service (like iCloud Drive) and there's an App installed which provides a document provider extension for this cloud service.
Depending of the iOS release, the default upload capability of the iOS web engine can be a problem, because not all files you might want to upload can be uploaded. Therefore iCab Mobile supports an alternative implementation for uploading files. This implementation allows to pick all files from the downloads folder for the upload. It also allows to pick photos from the album with the additioonal feature to be able to scale down photos before uploading them (often you do not realy need photos in full resolution in the web).
In the Settings of iCab Mobile ("Network" settings) you can configure if iCab should use the upload capabilities of the iOS or the one from iCab Mobile.
Using the upload capabilities of the iOS will work on almost all web pages but is limited to photos and videos from the photo album (iOS 8 and older) and files stored in a cloud storage (iOS 9 and later). Using iCab's own upload capability will allow to upload all file types, but it can not work on all web sites.
- How can I let iCab Mobile fill out forms automatically?
- For standard login forms, iCab behaves a little bit different than other browsers
to get more flexibility and also more security and privacy.
First of all, you have to save the forms manually (either by using the "Save forms" item from the "Action" menu or by tapping the "Same forms" button that is attached to the keyboard). Saving the form manually has the big advantage, that you can control what exactly will be saved. You fill out the form with all the data that should be saved, then you use the "Save forms" command. The forms in it's current state will then be saved. This way you can explicitly exclude certain form fields to be saved.
Switch on the option "Auto fill out forms" in the settings (Web sites > Save & Fill out forms) if iCab should automatically fill out the forms which were saved before.
for third-party Apps.
- Is it possible use iCab Mobile as default web browser on the device?
- No, the iOS will always use Safari as default browser. It's not possible to change
the default browser.
But if you install a certain bookmarklet in Safari, you can easily open the page that is currently displayed in Safari in iCab Mobile. See the blog post in the iCab Blog for more information about this.
- Can I force iCab to load the Desktop version of a site instead of the mobile version?
- Yes, most of the time this is possible.
Most web pages which provide a "normal" and a "mobile" version will determine which version they deliver based on the "Browser ID" (UserAgent) setting of the browser. This setting can be found in the "network" settings of iCab Mobile.
Selecting an ID of a Desktop browser (like "Safari (Mac)") will usually have the result that web sites deliver the "full" version of a page that is meant for desktop browsers.
Please note that if web pages determine mobile devices by their screen size and the touch gestures support, using a certain "Browser ID" might not work.
Also note that some web sites which assume that the browser is a desktop browser do rely on features which are only available on desktop browsers (like relying on a computer mouse or a physical keyboard, or relying on the Flash Plugin) which are not available on the iOS platform. So the desktop version of these pages might not fully work on a mobile device.
It is possible to define the Browser ID based on the URL of web pages. This makes it possible to keep the standard Browser ID ("Safari (iPad)" or "Safari (iPhone)") for most web sites and only use a special ID for those pages which do not work with the standard ID.
- Why are the promised features of the InApp Purchase missing?
- Normally the App should automatically determine if these features should
be enabled, either because you've bought the InApp Purchases or you've purchased the App itself within the time period where these features are available for free.
But if you've restored the device from a backup or switched to a new device or installed the App via iTunes, the purchase information might not yet available on the device. In this case go to the settings within the App, open the "Store" panel and tap on the "Restore Purchases" button. This will load the purchase information from the AppStore again and will unlock the features if everything is correct.